In this article we put whey to the test against pea protein powder. Each type of protein powder is compared to other based on several different characteristics. They includes the proteins: grams of protein per scoop, flavor, amino acid content, where is comes from, and much more. Read on to learn which of these protein powders is best for you.
We used the product information from Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein and Olympian Labs Pea Protein Powder for our comparison. These are popular supplements that use quality ingredients.
Avg. Grams Of Protein Per Scoop
- Pea Protein Powder: 25 grams
- Whey Protein Powder: 24 grams
How Does It Taste?
- Pea Protein Powder: very neutral taste which is easily flavored with fruits, cocoa powder, etc.
- Whey Protein Powder: flavored whey proteins taste very good, it’s protein powderother flavored protein powder.
Which Has A Higher BV Value (how much of the protein is your body able to utilize)?
- Pea Protein Powder: 65%
- Whey Protein Powder: 96%
Branch Chain Amino Acids Per Scoop – amino acids which play a key role in muscle building
- Pea Protein Powder: 4.8 grams
- Whey Protein Powder: 5.5 grams
Where Does The Protein Come From?
- Pea Protein Powder: yellow split peas.
- Whey Protein Powder: whey is formed during the process of making cheese and yogurt.
In Which Flavors Can I Get Each Protein Powder?
- Pea Protein Powder: plain and vanilla.
- Whey Protein Powder: 18 flavors which range from the basics (chocolate and vanilla) and the exotic (Chocolate Mint, Mocha Cappuccino, and Tropical Punch.
How Much Does Each Cost (based on prices at Bodybuilding.com)?
- Pea Protein Powder: $.64 per scoop.
- Whey Protein Powder: $.71 per scoop.
Who Should Drink This Of Protein?
- Pea Protein Powder: anyone who doesn’t eat animal protein, people who have to avoid dairy products because of an intolerance or allergy.
- Whey Protein Powder: men and women who want to get more high quality and easily digested protein in their diet.
What Do Customers Think?
- Pea Protein Powder: Bodybuilding.com members give it a 6.9/10 or Good rating.
- Whey Protein Powder:
Potential Downsides To Each
- Pea Protein Powder: because of its lower Biological Value (BV) not as much of the protein will be utilized by your body. This means you may have to take more to get the same benefits as you will from less whey protein.
- Whey Protein Powder: if you are lactose intolerant or have to avoid dairy protein you can’t drink this type of protein supplement.
After comparing each of the characteristics it appears that, unless you don’t eat dairy products whey protein powder is the better of the two. This primary reason is its higher biological value. This is important since it means more protein and amino acids will be available for your body to use to build muscle and function optimally.
A couple other things from this comparison that give whey the nod is that it’s available in more flavors, has additional healthy nutrients like lactoferrin which pea protein doesn’t, and mixes better in water.
Where Can You Buy Whey & Pea Protein Powder?
You can buy either protein powder at pretty much any online store. I recommend Bodybuilding.com. This is because their prices are really low, shipping costs are minimal, and the delivery time is really fast. You will get your order within 2-3 days without paying any extra fees. Sometimes you may even get it the next day.
If, after reading this article you want to learn more about either product you should read our the articles listed below.